Wednesday 24 September 2008

A message from the (Green) Queen.....

I have an eye opening revelation for everyone..........China is not very environmentally friendly! There, I bet you didn't know that already?! Being the diligent tree hugger that I am, I thought it only right to dedicate a blog entry to the Green Queens and the environment in China. When I first decided to come to China, I knew it would be bad, but the pollution and the littering is horrible. The amount of packaging that is used here is unbelievable - from the supermarkets to the street stalls, everything is packaged. Being an environmental nerd, I have bought a tupperware container and when I buy street food for dinner, I always ask them to put it in that rather than the usual polystyrene box. The street vendors found it quite amusing the first few times but now when I forget it, I get a funny look! There is also no recycling here, I still feel bad when I throw out a cardboard box or plastic bottle. I can almost handle all of this, but the air pollution really is something else. The emissions coming from cars and other vehicles are like nothing I've ever seen - so black and thick, and so much of it! Since I have been riding my bike, I end each day with a sore throat and a headache from the pollution. It can't be good for the body. So, again being a nerd, I'm going to buy a respiratory mask. Whilst there is no prospect of a Green Queens group here at EtonHouse at the moment, who knows what the future will bring, can the Green Queens save China? Anyway, I'm off to buy that mask! Take care, Anna.

1 comment:

Fi said...

Perhaps you could dedicate a few weeks of the school year to teaching the kids about being environmentally friendly?! Then they can teach their parents about recycling and the like and you might just start a Chinese environmental revolution!