Saturday 4 October 2008

I rode on a Chinese motorbike and ended up at the hospital!

I bet that got your attention! Not what you think though. After a reluctantly returning to Guilin, with more disappointment when I was told I wouldn't have enough time to visit Longsheng to see the Dragon Back rice terraces, my luck turned around yesterday afternoon. As I was wandering the streets, looking for a massage place, I met a Chinese man who proceeded to show me around. Naturally, I was a little bit suspcious but he turned out to be a very genuine, lovely man who was very excited I was from Melbourne. His sister has a restaurant on Lonsdale St (Ming something) - so go there for dinner! He managed to get me the last ticket for a minority folk show at the local theatre and took me to a local dumpling restaurant (60 dumplings for $3!) and then this afternoon, picked me up on his motor bike (slightly nerve racking!) and took me to the hospital. Apparently the Guilin hospital is famous for it's connections between western and eastern medicine. I had the most amazing foot massage ever, I feel like I am floating now! As I had the massage, the doctor sat next to me and talked about reflexology and traditional Chinese medicine. I was a great experience (the motorbike and the massage!). Now waiting for my flight back to smoggy and characterless Wuxi...I will definitely be back in this area again. Take care, Anna.

3 comments:

Fi said...

60 dumplings for $3 - that's 5 cents a dumpling! (Yes, I had to use a calculator for that one...). I'll have to go for a wander up Lonsdale St and try out all the Ming-something restaurants - I'll report back :)

Victoria said...

Anna,
Jen here from sunny Melbourne. Just returned from 3 weeks in Europe which was fantastic and now back to work. Your blogs are great and very descriptive so like you. It sounds like you are taking advantage of your time there and you certainly have taken in some sights. Your photos are beautiful and I can see why you would ride your bike. Nine kids is great! Some real "teaching". Anyways, keep up the blogs as they are fun and interesting to read.
Take care and best wishes
Jennifer Murray

Fiona said...

Hi Anna,
Love your blog - what a great read! Yangshou is gorgeous, I was there a few years back - make sure you d the raft trip it is stunning and so relaxing! I am just back from Vietnam and there is a gorgeous spot called Mai Chau which is very similar to Yangshou, if you are over there it is worth a visit. Life in China sounds far more exciting than Melbourne!! Do your nine kids speak English?
Ithaka October Conference this Saturday!
Love Fiona