Thursday 2 October 2008

A picture doesn't really tell 1000 words

I am in absolute heaven here in Yangshuo, am already planning a second trip at some point. The scenery is just unbelievably beautiful, everywhere you look is gorgeous. The pictures don't do this place justice, you really have to visit it to appreciate the beauty. Yesterday, I braved the Chinese buses for the first time (22 seats? No problem, how many more can we fit on?) and got off at a small village called Yandi. We then spent the next 5 hours walking to XingPing - we walked through rice paddies and other farming patches, along side the river, through bamboo forests and small villages, where the locals were trying to make some money selling water and fried fish to the walkers. It was one of the best walks I have ever done, I absolutely loved it. Today, we hired bikes and set off to explore another route, this time on a smaller river and along farmers paths. At one point, we got stuck, and had to carry our bikes across the river, much to the amusement of the Chinese tourists going the easy way along the river, on the bamboo rafts! Again, the scenery was amazing, although my Chinese bike was definitely not made for the farmers trails! Tonight, I am off to see a show on the river - it involves 600 locals and is directed by the guy who did the opening and closing ceremony of the Olympics. Take care, Anna.

4 comments:

Fi said...

Wow, those photos are amazing, and you say they don't do the place justice! Why are those hills so pointy? I've never seen pointy hills before (but I'm not sure if that's because I don't get out much, or if they're unique to China!).

piri said...

This is all so amazing Anna! Im proud of you being SO adventurous.
The phoyos are wonderful!
I had a very narrow minded view of China, but this is fortunately this is changing...thanks to you!
But where are all the other comments? thank god for Fi!

Fi said...

I agree Piri - where are all the comments?! We can't be the only ones with something to say on Anna's adventures and photos!

And I still haven't got an answer on why those hills are so pointy...

Anna Davidson said...

You make me laugh Fi! The hills are so pointy cos they are called karsts, they are only found in 3 areas in the world, here (obviously!!), Thailand (I've been to them too) and somewhere else not quite sure where. Happy now?