Thursday 14 May 2009

Tapering .....

I have a feeling that the scenery will be much more spectacular than this surbuban Shanghai street!

I'm enjoying the terms 'tapering' and 'carbo loading' this week. For the uninitiated, tapering is where you rest before a big run and carbo loading is eating lots of carbohydrates before a big run. So, the idea of not doing vigorous exercise, resting, stretching, having massages, eating lots of pasta and drinking lots (of water that is!), sounds perfect to me! I had my last session on Monday - 45 minutes on the bike. I intended to go for a light run on Tuesday but had a major headache and sore throat, so skipped it. Apart from riding my bike to school each day, I haven't done any exercise. I thought I would enjoy the break, but I'm starting to get a little antsy, which is probably a good thing as it means I'll be ready to go on Saturday morning.

Big plate of noodles!

I must say that I am much more nervous than I thought I would be, and I've narrowed it down to three main worries - 1. Finishing the actual race. 2. The transport to and from (dealing with my irrational anxiety issues). 3. What will I do after the race is over? So, I'm going to use a little positive thinking here (thanks Amy!).....1. Of course I will finish it, I will travel 21 km by foot, whether it be running, walking or crawling (let's hope not for the crawling!). 2. I live in China, I have routinely dealt with large crowds on transport, if I have to stop, I can. 3. Hmmm, what will I do to remain sane in Wuxi when the race is over? Well, I'm tossing a few options around, namely joining a hockey club, doing more running events (Shanghai half marathon is already on the list), playing gaelic football in Shanghai, travelling more. We'll see.

Ahh...blue skies and steep hills!
So, it's off to Beijing I go tomorrow after school. I'm still a little in awe of the fact that I can finish work on a Friday afternoon and be in the capital of China by 9.00pm that evening. What a crazy thought. I'm looking forward to meeting all the others from Wuxi who are crazy enought to sign up for the run - I know some of them, but it will be a great opportunity to meet some new people. It will be a long evening of travel - 2.5 hour flight to Beijing, followed by about 3 hours in a van to the race site, where our hotel is. The actual race begins at 7.30am, and the opening ceremony is at about 6.30am, so we'll have to be up nice and early to eat something (the last carbo loading feed ... sob sob) and get ready to run.
Can you imagine this sight with hundreds of runners on it?
After the run, we all head back into Beijing where I'm sure we will find the nearest pub to begin a night of celebrations. Hopefully, I'm feeling okay on Sunday - I feel a shopping spree coming on! Stay tuned for more pictures of the Great Wall on Sunday evening.
Stunning scenery.

1 comment:

Amy Martin said...

Good luck! You will be fabulous!!! xoxoxo

P.S - GO THE POSITIVE THINKING!