Monday 30 April 2012

A new job ...

A few weeks ago, I applied for a temporary teaching job at one of the schools high on my 'I want to work there' list, thinking that if I got an interview, it would be a great experience.  Well, I had the interview last Tuesday morning, was offered the job on Tuesday afternoon and started the job on Thursday afternoon!  Phew.  It was a crazy week.

Some of my family visiting my classroom during my last big parent exhibition at MLC in Melbourne

The job is teaching Grade 5 at Calgary Girls' School, which has caused all sorts of wonderful memories of teaching Grade 5 at MLC in Melbourne flooding back to me.  It's a lovely little school with Grades 4-9 spread over two campuses.  It is a public charter school but definitely has more of a private school feel - the students all wear uniforms and all have their own Macbook computers to work on.  I've now had a day and a half of handover time (including a fascinating field trip to the CTV studio today where we watched a live broadcast of the news) and tomorrow, the girls are all mine for the next 8 weeks.  The class are delightful and being with them really makes me realise how much I have missed the buzz of the classroom and the interaction with so many diverse personalities.  I'm really being thrown in the deep end because the girls are in the middle of a number of intriguing curriculum projects and in two weeks, we'll be heading off on Grade 5 camp for two nights.  The job has also helped me clear a bureaucratic hurdle - I'm now a certified Albertan teacher!  Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the departing teacher loves maternity leave and I can continue in this role in the next school year!

No comments: