Sunday 16 December 2012

Vancouver Historic Half (or 10km in my case) ...

It's been pretty tough finding the motivation to run outside lately given the chilly temperatures.  So, I thought that signing myself up for a race might provide the motivation I needed to get running.  I chose a 'destination' race in Vancouver since C and I were planning to be there for a weekend in November anyway.  I'd always wanted to run around Vancouver's beautiful sea wall and the Vancouver Historic Half (10km for me) provided just the opportunity.  Did it provide the motivation I needed?  Well, not really because I went for very few outdoor (and indoor come to think of it) runs in the weeks leading up to the race.  I flew to Vancouver knowing that I'd be (over) relying on the fact that I'd be running at sea level (as opposed to 1500m above sea level in Calgary) and hoping that I'd feel an extra spring in my step.  This was negated when we went out for dinner the night before with an old Tassie friend from my pony club days and had a couple of glasses of wine.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed the 10km saunter around Vancouver's famous seawall, running the race in a fairly respectable time and enjoying the scenery and the fresh sea air ...

On my way to the start line

Near the start line

The start/finish at the beautiful Stanley Park Pavilion (I warmed up inside next to the open fire!)

The start

Looking towards downtown Vancouver

Along the sea wall

Snowy mountains (and a sulphur plant)

Heading back towards downtown

Old pony club friend, J, who also did the race

No comments: