Sunday 11 January 2009

Daily mayhem at the supermarket

As the weather was still cold but clear (for a Chinese city) on Sunday, Amy and I decided to go for a walk to the supermarket to pick up some things. I really miss going for long walks outside, particularly with the dogs. Unfortunately there isn't really anywhere that nice to walk here, unless you catch a cab somewhere first. But we braved the cold and the smog for a walk anyway.
This is the view from my apartment on a 'clear' day!

We were met by absolute mayhem when we reached the supermarket. It was like people were getting ready to bunker down for the end of the world - pushing and shoving with trolleys and baskets, jostling for a place in the line to weigh vegetables, grabbing at items like they were about to sell out - crazy. Just a normal day at a local Chinese supermarket!

Making all sorts of yummy baked goods at the supermarket - buns, noodles, dumplings.

As we walked into the supermarket, we were confronted by rows upon rows of a huge variety of nuts. And of course, a crowd pushing and grabbing. I assume that the nuts are something special for the upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations, but I'm not 100% sure.

Turtle for dinner anyone?

I was thrilled to find a large selection of pre-packaged meat at this particular supermarket. I have not bought meat here yet because I'm put off my the sight of huge bags of bloody and fatty off cuts of meat but these packages look delicious. I'm looking forward to cooking up some spag bol and some stirfries this week with the lean meat that I found. And so cheap as well - four packages of meat (about 400 grams each) for about $10!

How about a bag of frogs?

I continue to be amazed by the selection of seafood in the supermarkets as well, much of it live. Eels, turtles, shrimps, all kinds of fish. I'm still a little sceptical about eating fish over here, other than at the nicer restaurants where the fish is all imported.

Feeling the live fish to check its suitablity for dinner.

It's going to be another busy week here as reports are finalised, planning is in progress for next term, and heading off to Jakarta on Friday morning - bring on the sun! Am looking forward to some nice dinners this week too - I'm having 2 of the girls over for dinner tonight to share holiday snaps and enjoy some of the meat I bought yesterday and then heading to Uberfood tomorrow night to celebrate (hopefully) finishing reports!

Chinese efficiency - staff on rollerblades!

No comments: