Saturday 17 January 2009

Internationalism and security ....

One of the 'professional' things I miss about home is the network of support and learning I developed within and outside of MLC. So, it was amazing to step into the PYP workshop today and feel at home with a group of like minded educators from all over the world. There are people from international schools in China, Indonesia and Singapore, with the teachers (or excuse me, administrators, apparently that's what I am now!) coming from all over the world, including 2 others from Tasmania! What a small world.
When in Jakarta ...... Bintang

The discussions today centred on ideas of international mindedness - What is international mindedness? What makes a school international minded? It was a stimulating conversation with many new ideas being thrown about, particularly around the idea of religion, which is quite topical in international schools in Indonesia, given that there are 5 main religions followed across the country. I really miss stimulating discussions such as these, I always leave them with scribbled questions and my mind buzzing with new ideas and thoughts.

Lush Jakarta

The discussions and the company made me think a little more closely about the changes in my life and my mindset since I have moved to China. I definitely think that I have become more internationally minded - more aware of cultural differences, of the global economy and the difficulties faced by most of the world's population. Language is a huge part of this and I really think that people (such as myself) who grow up in an English speaking country are at a disadvantage in the world. Sure, we have languages on offer at school, compulsory in some, but there is not the same necessity as other countries to really learn a new language fluently. For example, people coming from Europe, think nothing of speaking 2-3 languages fluently and having a 'little' bit of several other languages. I really need to get cracking on the Mandarin lessons!

The Body Shop at last! My skin can return to normal!

Something that connects to the idea of internationalism, particularly in these troubled times in Indonesia and other parts of the world, is the issue of security. Indonesia could quite possibly be the most secure place in the world at the moment - absolutely everything is checked wherever you go. You have to pass through security gates going into hotels and shopping centres, taxi boots are inspected as you drive into the hotel.

No comments: