Wednesday 14 January 2009

A teacher going on a work related overseas trip?!

As most teachers will know, teaching isn't terribly glamorous, there are no all-expenses paid business dinners, functions or overseas trips. The most exotic event in a teacher's life is normally going on camp - often sharing a room with other staff and waking up at all hours to put on the 'teacher voice' and tell off excited children who won't sleep. But, at last, I am heading somewhere exotic for work! Tomorrow morning, Pete and I are heading off at the ungodly hour of 4am for Jakarta. Whilst there, I will be attending a PYP workshop which I am really looking forward to. It will be great to clarify my role as co-ordinator and make some connections with people in the same role in schools from all over the Asia-Pacific region.
Wuxi .......-6 degrees, sunny and clear.
Jakarta ....... 24 degrees, haze.

I was hoping I would be able to gloat to everyone living in China about the heat and clear skies of Jakarta. But unfortunately, a google weather search finds that Wuxi is going to be sunny and clear and Jakarta will be hazy. I've never been to Jakarta so I'm not exactly sure what it will be like, but Wuxi being sunny and clear? I'm not so sure about that - the weather men are obviously being a little optimistic!
As well as the workshop I will be attending, I'm also looking forward to the heat for a few days. It will be lovely to thaw out before coming back to the cold and then heading off to the snow. I never thought I would say that I'm looking forward to a wait at the airport, but for Singapore airport I will make an exception - the shopping is meant to be fabulous. Can't wait to get my wallet out in the Body Shop - my skin will thank me for it after several months of heating and Chinese skin products! I know that it has been very hot back at home, so I hope everyone is enjoying it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i used to live in jakarta for a while. trust google weather! while the weather was hot and humid, but the sky is never clear, it's just as grey as shanghai because of the pollution. oh, and this time of the year it's usually rainy and tends to flood certain part of jakarta. but anyway hope you enjoy the much warmer weather than in china right now (:
-anita