Wednesday 11 November 2009

Hotels vs hostels

Most people who know me will know that I am not really a spontaneous, last minute type of person but my overseas adventures seem to be changing that though and I seem to leave things to the last minute more often. On Thursday last week, I still hadn’t found any accommodation in Hangzhou and options were running out. My ideal place, an old style hostel next to the lake, was fully booked out. I had two options – a 10 bed dorm with no bathroom for 50rmb a night (very expensive for China) or a budget hotel. Neither were next to the lake. Wanting to have a good night sleep before the run (and the principle of having to pay a ridiculous price for 10 beds and no bathroom), I decided to go for the hotel.
Outside the hotel in Hangzhou
As I have written about before, I am not a fan of hotel chains, particularly the budget ones. The words, characterless, dingy and unfriendly seem to sum up most of the ones I have visited. The hotel in Hangzhou was no exception. I had no reply to my emails about the address in Chinese characters and when I arrived on Friday night, it took me half an hour to get through to speak to a living person who could direct the taxi driver. It seemed unlikely that my opinion of hotel chains was going to change.
Advertising in the hotel elevator - this is what you will find in your room. Aren't you glad to know that your hotel room contains a pillow and a set of taps?!
After a robot-like welcome, I arrived in my room to a pile of business cards under the door, all featuring the same ‘massage’ service with a semi naked girl on the front. Hmmm. Next to the bed, there was a sign that read ‘Please do not smoke in the bed’, with an ashtray below the sign.The room was noisy and Chinese people marched up and down the corridor speaking in loud voices.
The Bund from the Hyatt in Shanghai (much more spectacular at night of course!)
For my last few trips in China, I am prepared though. Mum, Libby and I will be staying at the Hyatt in Shanghai, a lovely little canal side hostel in Suzhou and then my favourite hutong hostel in Beijing.
Relaxing in the courtyard at Templeside Hutong House in Beijing

No comments: