Thursday 25 December 2008

Father Christmas and the Michelin Man in Lhasa .....

Yes, it's true, Father Christmas was roaming the streets of Lhasa distributing sweets to everyone! The Michelin Man has also arrived, in the form of myself. I finally got the down jacket out today and with all my layers, I really do resemble the Michelin Man!
Father Christmas on the streets of Lhasa! (Sangpo, our guide, is on the left)
After a delicious breakfast of rice noodle soup with egg, we headed off on a crowded local bus for the Drepung Monestery that once housed the Dalai Lamas before the Potala Palace was built. The Buddhism history is so confusing, there are so many different historical figures to learn about, all with different symbolisms. This visit has only made me even more curious about learning more.
Beautiful scenery at the Drepung Monastery.

One of my favourite things about the monasteries is the architecture. I love the contrast of the white washed walls of the buildings with the mountains and the sky. The doors and windows of many of the buildings are particularly attractive, with their bright colours and intricate painted patterns and carvings. Yellow is a sacred colour in Tibet - only monasteries can use this colour.

Anna, the Michelin Man, at the Drepung Monastery

In the afternoon, we visited the Sera Monastery, home of the debating monks. Unfortunately, they were not having a debate today, so I will just have to come back for another visit! They debate deep philosophical issues such as the existence of 'I', a concept in which Buddhism does not believe.

Happy Tibetan woman with her prayer wheel.

The altitude really seems to zap your energy, so this afternoon I treated myself to a few hours sitting in a local restaurant, drinking hot lemon tea and eating cheese cake (I would have preferred some Christmas pudding!) next to their stove which is fuelled by yak dung.

Blue skies and colourful buildings at Sera Monastery.
Tonight, we are having a dinner together to celebrate Christmas - think I'll be trying the yak burger! After that, I am going to have a massage at the 'Braille without Borders' centre, where all the masseurs are blind. Tomorrow morning, we head off early for Yamdrok lake and then Gyantse.

No comments: