Tuesday 30 December 2008

Tibet pictures .....

Tibet is such a photogenic place, with so many interesting, unusual and special sights to see, that I thought I would put an entry of just photos. Enjoy.
Colourful architecutre at the Drepung monastery.

Ty, Jennifer and Sangpo enjoying the traditional Tibetan stove at Rongbuk monastery (Mt. Everest).

Rongbuk Monastery Hotel, 8km from Everest Base Camp.

Mount Everest (or Mount Qomolangma - traditional name)

Herding the goats home for the night. I followed this herd whilst being chased by a stray dog!

Heading home after a hard day's work - typical Tibetan transport.

Another form of transport in Tibet, pony and cart. This woman was thrilled to see her picture on my camera. These boys in Shegar were very keen to practice their English.
Selling yak butter at the Tashilhunpo monastery. The pilgrims offer it to the gods in each chapel.
Typical Tibetan house.
'Jump off the cliff'?? Not a 'Chinglish' error, but a real sign. The Buddhists believe if you jump off this particular cliff, you will go straight to heaven. Hmmmm, I didn't try it.

Artificial lake with prayer flags.

Tibetan woman and baby at the Kharola Glacier.
Yamdrok Lake.

Celebrating Christmas with new found friends (Ty, Jennifer and Fabian) with Tibetan style cheese cake.

1 comment:

Amy Martin said...

WOW! And I thought that my staying in a traditional Chinese vilage was roughing it...you put me to shame! Amazing photos! xo