Sunday 19 December 2010

The one day weekend ...

I only had one day off this weekend (in order to get a head start on my Christmas holidays) and after a super busy week, I decided to spend the day resting.  But, I still managed to 'do' a lot ... I went for a walk on the beach, read nearly all the weekend papers (which I'm normally still reading on the following Friday), looked at the Christmas displays in the city and watched two movies.  Not bad for one day of rest.

Real life cowboys on Moose Mountain (aka Brokeback Mountain)

The day began with a skype movie date with C.  We decided to watch the same movie, at the same time and then chat about it.  A little nerdy perhaps, but it's important to do things together even though we are on the opposite sides of the world.  We chose 'Brokeback Mountain' for several reasons - C. hadn't seen it and I was keen to watch it again since it was filmed very close to the ranch where I live in Canada.  In fact, the fictional Brokeback Mountain is actually Moose Mountain, a mere 20 minute drive from where I live.  It was exciting to see the now familiar scenery and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me miss Canada a little bit.  As we watched the movie, we had a few 'intermissions' where we paused the movie, called each other and chatted about the story so far.  It was a fun way to begin a Sunday morning, it almost felt like we were sitting on the couch together watching the movie!

Brokeback Mountain in the movie

The other movie I saw was a preview of 'Sarah's Key' at the Palace Cinema in Paddington.  I was a little apprehensive about seeing this movie since I loved the book so much and generally don't like to do the movie/book comparison.  The movie, as to be expected, was very sad.  For those of you who don't know the storyline, it's about the round up of the Jews in Paris in July, 1942 ... over 13,000 French Jews were held in the Velodrome D'Hiver before being transported to concentration camps such as Auschwitz.  Kristen Scott Thomas was fabulous, as always, and the little girl who played Sarah was very convincing in her role.  Although the movie was very well done and the story was beautifully portrayed, the book was much better.  In the book, the reader got to know the characters much more intimately and the relationships between characters were developed in much deeper way.

Sarah's Key - the book

For now, it's back to work for another 3 days before some time off for Christmas.  I hope everyone is enjoying the lead up to Christmas!

No comments: