Thursday 2 December 2010

Solving the problems of the future ...


Whilst I was in Melbourne recently, I became aware of a school program called 'Future Problem Solving', which interested me for several reasons.  Firstly, the program seems to have been designed mainly for gifted students and since my upcoming Masters study unit is about curriculum programming for gifted students, I was keen to find out more.  And secondly, the real life problem solving is something I thought might appeal to B, my 10 year old student. 

Students are given a series of possible world problems of the future and then taught how to research the problem, work through a problem solving process and come up  with a range of problems and solutions associated with the main problem.  Pretty neat, hey?

So, tomorrow I'm heading off to the outer suburbs of Sydney to hear more about the program and whether or not it will fit in with the 'Anna Davidson Home-School Curriculum' ... plus, the opportunity to chat to other teachers will help to solve a few of the 'isolation' problems of my own!

No comments: