Thursday 24 February 2011

30 ...

There seems to be a lot of 'talk' about turning 30.  Everyone seems to want to know how you feel about entering your thirties.  If I'm honest with myself, I do have little (albeit infrequent) moments of panic where I worry about not being grown up enough - I haven't bought a house, gotten married or had children.  But ... I have done a lot of other things - I've lived in four different countries, made friends all over the world, have wonderful relationships with my family and have had so many varied life experiences.  Thinking about these amazing things makes me feel better ... there's plenty of time for houses, husbands and babies.  

The early years

Birthday in Geelong

I have had a fabulous time in my twenties and made so many wonderful friends and memories.  During my twenties, I've grown to feel more comfortable and confident in who I am.  I don't worry about what other people think and I try to do things for the right reasons.  For example, I'm quite happy to say that I don't like nightclubs or big parties, whereas I used to endure them just because it was what you 'had' to do in your twenties.  So, there will be no big 'thirtieth', just a few smaller celebrations.  The family I work for are taking me to lunch today and this evening, my Mum, who is visiting from Melbourne, and I are going to dinner and the theatre at the Opera House.  On Sunday, I'll be in Melbourne and celebrate with a small group at the 'Harvest Picnic at Hanging Rock'.

Birthday at Hanging Rock

Birthday party at M1NT in Shanghai

So, what will my fortieth decade bring?  Who knows ... all I know is that I'm going to enjoy every minute of life, travel as much as I can and nurture my friendships and family relationships all over the world.  What more could a girl want?

Birthday dinner at Uberfood in Wuxi

No comments: