Saturday 5 May 2012

'The Hunter' and some homesickness ...

At the end of last year, a friend of mine told me about the movie, 'The Hunter', and said that I must see it for the Tasmanian scenery is stunning.  Alas, by the time I arrived in Australia and looked for the movie, it had finished its screening.  I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to wait for it to come out on DVD, purchase it and watch it in Canada.  So you can imagine my surprise (and squeal of excitement) when C read out 'The Hunter' as he was browsing Calgary's movie selection hoping for a good Friday night movie to go see.  It began 10 minutes after we'd found it so we hightailed it down to the cinema (the Globe on 8th if you're in Calgary) to catch it. 


The movie was amazing.  The storyline was a little slow at times but I could have watched it for hours, just soaking up the wonderful cinematography of the Tasmanian wilderness.  I particularly loved the wide-sweeping shots of the Tasmanian button grass, my favourite plant!  Throughout the movie, I had pangs of homesickness - for my family and for Tasmania.  The whole idea of hunting for the Tasmanian tiger was a little cheesy but the acting and the scenery were simply spectacular. 

For those who don't know what button grass is, here's a picture ... isn't it just lovely?

If you're a CanAussie in Canada and want a taste of home, check it out at the cinema and if you're in Australia and want to see some of Tasmania's finest scenery, check out 'The Hunter' on DVD!

No comments: