Sunday 20 May 2012

Grade 5 Camp ...

This past week, my third week in my new position, saw me heading off with three other teachers and one hundred 10 year old girls to Kamp Kiwanis for Grade 5 camp.  I love going on school camp, it's such a great way to get to know the students and experience things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to.  The students were all great and our main responsibility came with ensuring that the girls were dressed appropriately for the weather, which involved hats and lots of sunscreen on the first two days and jackets and long pants on the last day as it was snowing!  I was more than impressed with the Kamp K staff who were incredibly professional, energetic and engaging in their interactions with both the girls and teachers.  There were a couple of staff members from Australia and New Zealand, mostly GAP students which bought back all sorts of memories of my own GAP year in 1998, where I was the crazy, energetic activity leader whom the kids had a great time with.  Around the campfire (made with candles since there is currently a fire ban in place) at night, we sang 'repeat after me' songs, some of which I was familiar with from my GAP year and more than happy to join in with, however when the two Aussies performed an impromptu rendition of 'Waltzing Matilda' accompanied by an interpretive dance, I declined the offer to join in, citing that I was there purely as the camp photographer.  Over the three days, I took nearly 500 photos of the children and the landscape.  Obviously, it would be unprofessional of me to share the photos of the students, so here are a couple of the landscape, the foothills of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.








No comments: