Thursday 25 October 2012

End of the outdoor farmers markets ...

With the ending of fall comes the end of outdoor farmers markets for the year.  I'd quite gotten used to having these markets so readily available.  Every Wednesday evening, I made sure to make it home in time to wander down to the Hillhurst-Sunnyside market to stock up on fruit and vegetables, as well as the occasional jar of jam, loaf of bread or pre-prepared meal.  And, I loved the occasional trip to Millarville to enjoy their Saturday morning market, complete with live music and cowboys.  On our last trip to the Millarville market, I was sure to stock up on my new favourite meat, elk, to freeze for the winter time. 

One of the stalls at our local market at the Hillhurst-Sunnyside community centre
 
I'll miss the outdoor farmers markets because the year-round indoor markets are nowhere near as conveniently located and don't quite have the same community feel as the outdoor markets.  I am, however, greatly looking forward to the outdoor Millarville Christmas market which takes place in a few weeks and I was also pleased to see that there will be a monthly indoor market at the Hillhurst-Sunnyside community centre.

Discussing the ins and outs of elk meat at the Millarville market

No comments: