Tuesday 23 October 2012

It's getting a little chilly ...


 The leaves have all fallen which suggests that perhaps 'fall' is over.  There is snow on the ground and I'm getting ready to settle into the long cold Canadian winter.  I'm starting to learn a little more about how to cope with the cold weather and I had a funny experience last week as I was leaving for work early one morning.  The windshield had quite a layer of ice on it, so I diligently turned on the engine, got the ice-scraper out of the car and set to work to clear a patch so I could see where I was driving.  After a few minutes of hard work and not having a lot of patience, I decided to simply do what I used to do on frosty mornings in Tasmania - squirt some water on the windshield to melt the ice and off I go.  Little did I realise that the water I was using to melt the ice would simply freeze again, which meant I still couldn't see out.  If anything, it made the problem worse since the patch I had scraped was now covered in ice.  Again, lacking in patience, I decided to simply keep squirting water until the heating had kicked in and melted the windshield clear.  Lesson learned - get up a few minutes earlier to properly scrape the ice off the windshield ... or buy one of those devices that starts the car from inside the house.

No comments: