Sunday 11 November 2012

Millarville Christmas Market ...

On this chilly but sunny day, C and I decided to venture down to Millarville for the annual Christmas market.  As it seems that everyone in Calgary had decided to do because it was absolutely jam packed.  For a pleasant hour or two, we wandered around the stalls, some of whom are there during the summer Saturday markets and some of whom only offer their wares at the Christmas market.

A warming fire at the market

Country kitsch (note the blue tarp attempting to retain some warmth at the stall next door)

I had wanted to make a trip to the Millarville Christmas market ever since I first moved to the area in 2010, but I'd always missed it because I would normally be back in Australia by the time it rolled around.  To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the offerings.  I think I had more of a vision of the traditional German Christmas markets, with the lights, mulled wine and village feeling.  It wasn't quite like that at the Millarville market as a lot of the crafts were, although local, not up my alley ... a lot of kitsch, cutesy 'stuff.'  We did find a few great things, the most notable perhaps being the small, wooden comfort birds that are designed to hold (and rub) in your hand during times of stress.  I don't normally go for that kind of thing but they were just so beautifully crafted and felt fabulous in your hand.  I bought a maple one for my grandmother and C bought me one made of wende wood, which is a beautiful dark colour with a lovely grain.  

Anna's Hungarian Baking ... perfect for this Anna and her Hungarian background!

Maple taffy ... maple syrup on a stick (normally rolled in snow, but it was cold enough for it to be hard enough today)

The thing I loved best about the purchases I made were the discussions with the vendors, most of whom were the creators of their products - from the innovative oat company (more on that another day), the dog treat lady (again, more info in another post), the meat vendors where we stocked up on elk and bison meat, and of course, the old, tobacco-chewing man who sold us the comfort birds.

Should I get a coyote or sable fur?  Wolf and beaver pelts were also on offer

My beautiful 'comfort bird'

So, despite the market not fully meeting my expectations, it was still a really fun day out - interesting people watching, enjoying some Canadian treats and making some unusual finds.  I didn't quite finish my Christmas shopping the way I had planned to, but definitely made a start.  Right now, I'm off to cook up an elk and spinach pizza from our buys of the day.

Can anyone guess what this is?  A hint - it is for the dog to chew on.  I'll let you know what it is tomorrow!

No comments: