Monday 5 November 2012

Moxibustion ...

Ever since China when I became a massage addict, I try to have a regular 90 minute massage.  The cost of massages in the western world limits just how regularly I would like to have them but I still place massages as a priority for looking after my body.  Last week, I went to my usual Chinese masseuse and asked if I could also have a cupping treatment, as I had a cold and thought it would be a good way to draw out some of the nasties from my body.  She explained that she didn't offer cupping but had something much better and showed me what looked like a combination between a large incense stick and a fat cigar.  Eager to try something new, I agreed.  Following the massage, she lit the incense cigar and began waving it over my shoulders and neck very closely.  My skin felt very hot and afterwards, I smelt like I'd been standing around an outdoor fire for the evening.  She was unable to give me the name of the treatment in English but eventually found a name on the side of the stick, moxibustion.  

Moxibustion in action

Curious, I googled it when I got home and discovered that it is indeed an ancient Chinese healing method.  But, there was no mention of it being anything like cupping, in fact, one of its main uses seems to be to turn around breech babies!  I certainly didn't feel any better afterwards either.  I think that next time I want an ancient Chinese treatment, I'll stick to cupping, which I know works!

Cupping in China

No comments: