Tuesday 8 September 2009

Goal setting

After stuffing myself silly with ‘normal’ foods in Australia and drinking loads of wine, I came back to China determined to get back into my fitness regime. Although I love running and am really enjoying sessions at the gym, I need something to aim for, otherwise I’m more likely to say yes to that glass of wine and massage rather than hit the gym. Aiming for the Great Wall Marathon was a fantastic challenge and just what I needed to keep me on track. So, in a quiet moment last week, I asked my friend, ‘Google’ for some suggestions. China seems to have heaps of running events, so there were many to choose from. I decided upon the Hangzhou ‘short’ marathon (14km) in mid November and then the Shanghai marathon in November, although I still need to decide on the distance – 42km, 21km or 4.5km? At this stage, I’m thinking of the 4.5km distance as the race is apparently quite boring – flat and nothing to look at. It’s also a race that I think I could train for to run a little more quickly (and with less training time). Hangzhou will be great, it’s a city on my travel list and to go there for a run would be fabulous. It is meant to be a very beautiful area and the run sounds great. Now, I just need this heat to disappear so that I can run without drowning in my own sweat.

No comments: