Wednesday 23 September 2009

Taking a risk .... taking a new direction ....

When I was younger, I always thought that I would be the kind of girl who would be married with kids by the time I was 25. Not to be. When I began my teaching degree, I always thought I would be a PE teacher working in socially disadvantaged schools. Not to be. Here I am, aged 28, having worked in two of the most privileged schools in Melbourne and now living in China. Recently, the plan has been to complete another 2 year contract in Asia then head to Europe for a few years before returning home. Again, not to be! My life is taking a new and exciting direction. I have made the difficult decision to leave China early to take up a very unusual teaching position with a unique lifestyle opportunity. I have taken a private teaching position with a Canadian family who divides their time predominantly between Calgary in Canada and Sydney in Australia. Time is also spent travelling in Europe and on an island off the west coast of Canada. I will be working with the family to educate their two children, 9 year old Brennan and 5 year old Rory. The opportunity was simply too good to pass up – complete teaching freedom and a lifestyle very suited to my interests. What more could a horse mad girl love more than living on a 5000 acre ranch near the Rocky Mountains? The ranch is predominantly cattle and horses and offers every equestrian activity under the sun – a dream for me! Being able to live in Australia for some months of the year is very alluring as well, a short flight away from Mum, family and friends, and only a few hours drive away from Dad. It is a risk for sure, but I have decided to put aside all my ‘what if’ questions and go for it – life is too short to sit and wonder. For now, I have three months left in China to enjoy my favourite things here – travel, massage, Uberfood, street food and great friends.

No comments: