Saturday 14 August 2010

Day trip to Sylvan Lake ...

The Big Moo - a Sylvan Lake attraction

On Thursday night, I packed my bathers, towel, hat and sunscreen for on Friday, I was going to spend the day on Sylvan Lake, hopefully learning how to waterski.  I woke up on Friday morning and it was cloudy and drizzling.  I still took my swimming bag and pressed my thumbs (thanks for the new phrase Kiki) it would clear.  On the two hour drive north to Sylvan Lake, it poured.  I was still hopeful.  My purpose for visiting Sylvan Lake was to visit N. and L., a lovely couple who I met in Florida.  They had invited me up to their place for a day on the lake.  From their beautiful living room overlooking the lake, the boats bobbed around fiercely in the wind.  It wasn't a boating day.  We still had a fun day.  We enjoyed a beautiful lunch and I had lots of cuddles with their gorgeous little dog, Max.  In the afternoon, we drove into the township of Sylvan Lake to look at the shops, have ice-cream at The Big Moo and visit the farmers market.  We took a Sunday drive (on a Friday) to look at the massive lakeside homes and discovered a garage sale (yes, I can hear you groaning Mum).  N. and L. stocked up on life jackets and other water related equipment.  I was satisfied to find a huge children's atlas in board book form, a Richard Scarry dictionary and a casserole dish.  In the late afternoon, I headed back to Calgary, swimming bag untouched.  Oh well, I'll just have to make another visit.

No comments: