Monday 9 August 2010

It's a marvellous night for a moondance ...


On Thursday night, I was lucky enough to see Van Morrison in concert.  I've loved Van Morrison's songs for a long time - in fact, 'Brown Eyed Girl' is a favourite song of mine (and I may have sung it at karaoke a time or two).  It is not very often that one has the opportunity to see such a musical genius live in concert and the performance was extraordinarily moving.  We had sixth row seats, so I was able to indulge in my love of watching the way the band plays and interacts with one another.  I am constantly fascinated in how each musician knows what the others are doing and how to fit in ...  I think I harbour a secret desire to be able to play a musical instrument well.  It was clear that Van Morrison was not comfortable on the stage, not once did he address the audience - there was no "Calgary!  How are you tonight?!"  When he wasn't singing, his back was to the audience, preferring to watch and communicate with his very talented band.  He didn't even stick around for the second half of the last song ('Gloria').  I guess that when you sound as wonderful as he does, you don't need to and you certainly don't need the airs and graces of a rock star.  Van Morrison just lets the music speak for itself.

No comments: