Saturday 28 August 2010

Wild Horse Trail ...

Heading out of the trailhead car park

When my boss called me on Tuesday evening and asked if I wanted to go for a horse ride in the mountains the following day, I jumped at the chance.  The summer days here, with temperatures in the mid twenties and blue skies, are perfect for riding.  We set off from the appropriately named 'Wild Horse Trail' in the Bragg Creek Provincial Park, about a 45 minute drive from the ranch.  The national and provincial parks in Alberta are extremely well set up with excellent maps and signage available for all the trail users - hikers, mountain bikers, horse riders and cross country skiiers.

Crossing the fast flowing stream

Wild ponies!

I was excited about the ride because I'd never done a trail ride like this before.  For this ride, I had the luxury of having my horse handed to me, fully tacked up and ready to go, as well as the convenience of riding with experienced riders who are all lovely people.  

"Which way should we be going?"

An open field - perfect for a gallop!

The trail began by crossing a large, stony river flat, where we did see some wild ponies.  Here, we had to cross a huge, fast flowing stream.  One thing I can say about polo ponies is that they are extremely versatile - not once did they flinch as we crossed the raging stream or when we asked them to jump over small logs.  The trail wove around the base of a small mountain and through some open fields where the horses enjoyed a bit more freedom with a trot and a canter.  We then made our way up some steep, rocky paths to where we hoped we would find a viewpoint.  Unfortunately, due to time constraints, my horse cutting her leg and another horse losing a shoe, we decided to head back early.  We headed back down the mountain and back to the trailhead.  I got off my horse feeling very, very sore ... it's been a while since I've ridden for over 3 hours!

Happy horse on the trail

Beautiful scenery

River flats

Group picture - the teacher, the nanny and the polo grooms

Final river crossing

No comments: