Sunday 2 January 2011

3 mouldy saddles and 1 dirty dog ...

One of my most favourite Melbourne things to do is to head out to the Yarra Valley farm where my horses used to live.  Obviously, it's not the same without having them there to ride, but it's always good to visit my dear friend, Anita and her family.  For this visit, I also planned to get out all my saddles and give them a clean off.  I wasn't prepared for the amount of mould covering them though ... nearly 3 years of storage will do that, I guess.  I cleaned them off and wrapped two of them for storage and packed the third into a lovely new carry bag ready to take back to Canada (my rear end is very much over riding in hard polo saddles and will appreciate the padding on my dressage saddle!)

Mum in the rose garden

We also took Lexie, my brother's dog, with us ... she always loves a trip to the farm.  For her, it's an excuse for all manners to go out the window while she chases the cats, goes swimming and rolls in the dirt.  In several hours, Lexie went from being a cute, 'My Dog' white dog to a hot, dirty, farm dog.  

Sending the dog in to scare away all the mice, rats, spiders etc.

3 mouldy saddles

It was wonderful to see the farm looking so green, it's been a long time since I've seen the Yarra Valley looking so spectacular.  After several hours of eating, drinking, chatting, cleaning and admiring the views, we headed back to the city with a car load of fresh Yarra Valley produce, one clean saddle and one very dirty dog.

Scrubbing the mould away
1 hot dog cools off in the water bowl

1 dirty dog after a swim in the pool
1 unhappy dog waiting to have a shower

No comments: