Wednesday 2 March 2011

Entering the world of the e-reader ...


I've never been an  e-reader type of person.  The thought of reading a book on a screen rather than on paper has never been appealing.  Until now.  C kindly gave me a Kindle for my birthday (perhaps because he's sick of carting my books to and from Canada and Australia?!) and now, I'm an addict.  The Kindle has surprised me enormously ... it's so easy to read on with no screen glare whatsoever.  I've found that it is much faster to read on as well - it only took me two one hour flights and two airport sittings to finished a book.  Already I've downloaded several books, including the 'San Francisco Lonely Planet', where I can 'bookmark' pages of interest, and a free copy of 'Pride and Prejudice' (in the hope that I can 'get into' the classics better by reading faster, and hopefully not feel so illiterate when discussing  books with my grandmother!)  I've had a great time browsing the Kindle store and was thrilled to discover a huge range of gifted education text books which will be very useful for my studies when I'm on the family's island.  I still can't imagine reading the Kindle whilst in bed, lying on the couch or on the beach, but for my travels, it's perfect!  

No comments: