Sunday 20 March 2011

Oh Canada!

Frozen Bow River

That's right, I've left the sunny beaches of Sydney and am now back in cold, snowy Canada.  I arrived back yesterday morning and headed straight to the River Cafe near downtown Calgary for a long, leisurely lunch with C and my good friend from high school, Camilla and her husband, Chris.  It was amazing that they happened to be in town (and on their way back to London) just as I arrived ... funny how far you need to travel to meet up with friends!  We enjoyed a delicious Canadian lunch with several bottles of bubbles to celebrate life before walking it off with a stroll to the top of a nearby hill to admire the view over downtown Calgary.  

The frozen Bow River with downtown in the background

It's good to be back and be with C again, but my goodness, it is mighty cold.  Over the past few weeks, I've been watching the Calgary weather reports with interest.  I was thrilled to watch the temperature steadily climb from -20 to +10, so you can imagine my disappointment when it was announced on  the Air Canada flight that it was -5 and snowing in Calgary.  It's chilly!  But there was a decent snowfall last night, so everything is white and pretty and I'm looking forward to rugging up and heading out to play in it later today.

Looking down onto the Bow River from a nearby hill 

No comments: