Friday 4 March 2011

Waddamana ...

The village

I just love reading the very last page of the Weekend Australian magazine, the one with the unusual properties for sale (in fact, the family home I grew up in Tasmania was listed in the section when we were selling it in 2000).  Last weekend, the Tasmanian property stood out ... the entire village of Waddamana is for sale.  Waddamana (meaning 'noisy water') was established as a hydro-electric power station in the early 1900s and it holds a lot of significance for my family and I.  It was Waddamana where my maternal grandfather was first sent to work upon his arrival in Australia in 1950 after he fled Hungary.  And it was over 40 years later that our family would holiday at Waddamana, sometimes with family friends and other times, on Pony Club camp.  I have great memories of those times ... of staying in the little cottages, while the horses grazed in the back gardens and of going on long horse rides, stopping to swim in the rivers along the way.  I can only hope that a quirky buyer will snap up Waddamana and maintain its status as a unique and historical significant part of Tasmania's history.

The power station

2 comments:

Jared said...

I would totally love to buy this place, at least for the awesome safety posters in the museum, but also because if has so much potential and its so damn cute nestled into the natural bowl that it is. One of my first decrees as owner, mayor and president of the country of Waddamana (after we secede) would be to reinstate the old pools that used to be right near the power station :)

Anna Davidson said...

Oh, I totally forgot about those pools ... how cool! The best fun was sliding through the old pipes in the river ... risk factor: high, fun factor: through the room for a 10 year old! :-)