Thursday 27 October 2011

The autumn reading list ...

One of the best parts about living in another country is discovering books about that country and by the country's authors.  In China, I read a lot about the history of China and discovered several (Westernised) Chinese authors whose books I really enjoyed.  It's been the same here in Canada, I'm discovering many Canadian (and American) authors whose books I'd never read before.  Here is a little selection of what I've been reading lately ...

This is a pretty well-known book in Canada.  It's a beautifully written tale exploring what it is like growing up in a Mennonite family

Another book about the Mennonites, albeit a sillier tale of a woman in her 40s returning to her Mennonite background

Obviously not a Canadian book, but one that has been on my must-read list for a while.  I loved it but after a while, the 'goodness' of the March girls got to me!

Recommended by a local librarian.  I listened to this on an audio book during my long daily commute to the ranch.  A delightful book.

Another recommendation.  A beautifully written book that is written as a letter from a dying man to his young son.

I'm not great at reading non-fiction in my downtime, so this book is perfect for me - photographs and detailed captions about Alberta and its history.

I just finished this book this morning and I'm contemplating jumping on a plane to Nepal right now.  It's a  beautiful (true) story of the 'orphans' in Nepal.

On my bedside table waiting to be read (or packed for Australia) are the following books ... 

I bought this book after seeing the movie (which I loved) and can't wait to read it.

I have to read this book as part of the Canadian Studies course I need to complete (more on that later this week)

A friend at home recommended this book and it's waiting on my Kindle for me to read on the long flight home

No comments: