Wednesday 8 February 2012

Return of the running fever ...

Great Wall Marathon (well, 1/2) in 2009

 It was this time last year that my passion for running took a major dip.  I was forcing myself to go running and not enjoying it at all.  So, I decided to take a break.  I stopped running and took up other forms of exercise – body weight and gymstick workouts, walking and a little bit of yoga.  My body (and mind) felt a lot better.  Then, towards the end of my last stint in Canada, I felt the ‘need’ to run returning.  I started to run a few times a week, nothing too far or too fast, just some jogs around the river/countryside and some interval runs on the treadmill.   When I returned to Manly, I stopped again, mainly because I have been working out a lot with Vital Fit and Power Living (it’s enjoyable and hard work plus I want to get my moneys worth!).  But, the itch is back.


Crowded on the Great Wall of China
 Just over the past week or so, I’ve been feeling that itchiness in my feet and I’m ready to run!  I’ve started with a few beach jogs (I managed 6km my first run back which I was thrilled with) and hopefully by the time I get back to Calgary, I’ll be ready to hit the pavement although perhaps the treadmill is a better option at -25 degrees!


Misty running
  
I’ve decided that I need a goal to work towards.  Not only to keep me motivated but also to keep my mind off the enormity of the ‘permanent’ move to Canada and missing my family.  So, I’m planning on registering for the Rocky Mountain Half Marathon, which I was registered for in 2010 but, as I wasn’t in the province at the time, I didn’t make it.  Before that race (which is in September), I’ll try to throw in a few 5km and 10km fun runs to get back into the competition groove, after not having participated in a competitive run for over 2 years. 


First 1/2 marathon ... done!

It's a great feeling to have - to actually want to run again and be excited about it.  Once I'm back in Calgary, I'll be ready to hit the ground running!

No comments: