Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Red Deer News, 1910 ...

I'm currently sitting at my computer (obviously) putting off the task of writing my final assignment for the much begrudged 'Women of the West' unit I'm completing as part of the teaching certification process in Alberta.  I find myself sitting here with such a negative attitude and a level of stubbornness that I didn't even know I had ... I feel like a child who is digging their heels in when they don't want to do something.  I simply do not see the point in this assignment - a 6500 word research project analysing how women were depicted in the Red Deer News (Red Deer is a town about 1.5 hours north of Calgary) in 1910.  Why the Red Deer News?  Well, there were a number of choices, it just happened to be first on the list ... I could have chosen the Prairie Grain Growers Guide.  One of the most frustrating, and incomprehensible, things about this assignment is the relationship between the word limit and the weighting of its mark ... 6500 words for a 40% assignment, where as the last assignment was 1500 words worth 30%.  It seems a little out of whack to me.


As a motivation for finishing the assignment (and the course), I have planned (another procrastination tool) a day of celebration which will include browsing the local bookstore and buying a new book (I already have one in mind - Geraldine Brooks' Caleb's Crossing); reading the said book in front of the fire at my favourite local cafe, The Higher Ground; having a massage; and then returning home to finish the book with a glass of wine and a puppy on my lap.  Now all I need to do is get cracking on the assignment.  But for the minute, there a couple of other 'urgent' items on my list like sewing up damaged dog toys, searching for a second hand bike to purchase, planning my half marathon training and picking up the dog poo in the back yard.  Me?  Procrastinate?  Not at all!

No comments: