Tuesday 13 March 2012

A working woman again ...

 As some of you were aware, I was slightly stressed at the prospect of being in Calgary with no work lined up.  But, as my mother reassured me, things worked out.  Beginning this week, I'm currently working 15 hours a week providing tutoring for two families.  One, about 4 hours per week, is a relative of the family I've recently left and I already knew the two boys, aged 8 and 9, so that has made it a very easy transition for both parties.  That tutoring gig simply involves basic maths and writing catch-up and homework help.  The second, larger job of about 11 hours per week is of a more unique situation.  Three days a week, I will spend the morning at the Millarville Community School working one-on-one with a 10 year old boy who has some difficulties with his literacy development.  I had my first day there today and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The student is great - very eager, switched on and a lot of fun to work with.  It was so lovely to walk into the school, already knowing the staff and a lot of the students; I was welcomed so warmly, it was a wonderful feeling.  I know that I'm going to enjoy the balance of being back in a school setting as well as having the time at home to work on my thesis and spend time with our dear little puppy.

No comments: