Sunday 25 March 2012

Snowy runs ...

Abbey thinks a post-run stretch is a great opportunity for some fun play time
 
I just got back from a run.  It was a chilly -4 degrees.  Probably colder if you consider the brisk wind coming off the Bow river.  I was pretty proud of my efforts in luring myself away from the open fire, pot of tea and good book, but as always, I felt amazing when I'd finished my run.  Running here at this time of the year (and more so in the middle of winter, I'm sure) is challenging on a number of fronts.  Firstly, the footpaths are often covered in snow, ice or slush which makes for a mentally challenging run as you must think carefully about where you place your foot in order not to slip.  Next, there is the challenge of what to wear.  I still haven't mastered this, but I'm getting there.  On my first run back in Canada, I stupidly headed out in tights and a single long sleeved t-shirt.  That was it.  Now, I wear the same tights and long sleeved tee, but have added a singlet to keep my core warm, thermal gloves and a woollen headband designed for skiing.  I always run in sunglasses because the glare off the snow and ice on the river makes my eyes hurt, as does the wind whipping off the river.  Timing your run when it is so cold outside is also something important to consider.  Run too early or too late and the footpaths are super icy, as well as being just a tad too chilly.  Warming up and stretching are asking too much of me when it's so cold and my motivation is waning.  I find it best just to get out there, warm up on the run and have a good stretch when I return home.  Despite all these challenges and my occasional reluctance to hit the pavement, the most important thing is that I'm just out there running because a half marathon is not going to be a fun experience if I've spent the preceding months in front of the open fire with a mug of tea in my hand.  Which is precisely what I'm off to do now.

No comments: