Friday 8 June 2012

One week to go ...

I'm looking forward to this next Saturday ... 21.1 km and a beer under my belt by lunch time

This time next week, I'll be enjoying a pre-race bowl of pasta and an early night, ready for the Millarville Half Marathon next Saturday morning.  My training has taken somewhat of a dive in the past month.  A combination of starting a new full-time job and having a hard-to-shake cold in the past week or so has meant I haven't been able to be out running as much as I would have liked.  I think I've done enough 'normal' runs and have a reasonable number of kilometres under my belt - in the past month, I've done two 18 km runs and many more over 10 km - but I haven't done enough strength work or hill runs as I would have liked.  I think I'll mostly notice the lack of hill training given that the race is held in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.  And, I know for a fact that at the 14 km mark, there is a 1.1 km long hill.  That's going to be a killer!  But, I'm proud of the fact that I haven't fully given away my training.  I just need to re-adjust my goal for the race ... now, I'll be happy with any time between 2 and 2.5 hours.  After the run, I'll be ready to celebrate.  Not just the run but also the finish of writing report cards (on kids that I have only known a few weeks!) and also the end of my 7-week no-alcohol stint.  In fact, I have already put a lovely bottle of Moet in the fridge.  A far cry from the glass of Powerade I'll be having with my bowl of pasta next Friday night!

No comments: