Saturday 18 August 2012

Grassi Lakes hike ...


Which way to go?  (we decided on the 'more difficult' way up and the 'easy' way down)

Mum's last day in Canada (for this trip at least) was grey and miserable, which kind of suited our glum moods as we realised that the end of our mother/daughter holiday was near.  Nevertheless, we headed to the mountains so Mum could experience the Rockies once more and also have a chance to stretch her legs before the long flight back to Australia.

Admiring the drizzly view

The third (or first?!) sister of the Three Sisters

Since it was raining when we arrived in Canmore, we stopped for a bagel and a coffee before deciding on the short hike to Grassi Lakes nestled underneath the Three Sisters at the back of Canmore.  It's a short hike up (the 'more difficult' route up is not very difficult but worth it for the lovely views) to two beautiful, clear lakes.  The 'easy' route down is uneventful and quick ... especially when you can hear the thunder and see the storm clouds rolling in!

Cuddles in the rain

The 'difficult' part of the 'most difficult' route to the top

And so, another mother/daughter trip in Canada came to an end, a very teary and emotional end.  It was wonderful sharing some of 'my' Canada with Mum as well as exploring new places with her.  Saying goodbye made me realise just how far away from home I actually am.  One day (soonish) I know I will be ready to return home but until then, I will keep exploring this beautiful country as well taking regular trips back to Australia of course!

At the top of the waterfall

We saw several signs advising hikers of the recent outhouse installation ...

... so I thought that I should give it a go!

First glimpse of the first lake

Crazy colours in the lake

Beautiful reflections

The mossy stream reminded me of Tasmania

... as did this (although Tasmania doesn't have mountains like these!)

Can you spot the rock climbers?

Can you see him now?!

Abbey was about to have a dip when she spotted (and was a little wary of) the climbers

Lawrence Grassi, the Italian 'Master Trailmaker' (what a great title!)

(Now, I am up to date with Mum's adventures but I will need to take a break before I blog about the many adventures I've had since she left because early tomorrow morning, C and I are heading off to Osoyoos for some fun in the sun before I go back to work!)


No comments: