Monday 27 August 2012

Galatea Lakes hike ...

Up, up, up!

Shortly after Mum left for Australia, I decided that the best way to lift myself out of the 'blue' period I was experiencing since her departure was to go for a scenic and strenuous hike in the Canadian Rockies.  It was the perfect anti-depressant - 16 kilometres of beautiful scenery along the Galatea Lakes hike.  The hike took us through the woods alongside a fast-flowing stream and up to Lillian Lake where we stopped for lunch.  We then decided to take the short 1.5 kilometre hike up to Lower Galatea Lake ... short but strenuous.  The effort was worth it though and we spent some time at Lower Galatea Lake soaking our feet in the cold water (Abbey was even brave enough to take a swim) before heading back down to the trailhead.  Galatea Lakes was the perfect hike for a homesick girl ... it reminded me of why I live in this beautiful place and of all the wonderful things in life.  (But, I still do miss my family and homeland!)

Looking back to where we've come from

First glimpse of Lillian Lake

Lovely Lillian Lake

Lunch spot view

Resting on the way up

Lower Galatea Lake

Smiles for having made it to the top!

On the scree looking back at Lillian Lake

Cooling off hot feet at the end of the hike (sorry about the dot on the picture!)

No comments: