Sunday 17 August 2008

Do I have something on my face??

They keep telling me that there are lots of foreigners in Wuxi, but I'm yet to see them! And judging by the stares I'm getting, I'm not sure. Well, I'm here at last and my first impressions are much the same as those of my trusty friend, LP (Lonely Planet to the uninformed!) - 'smoggy and characterless'. Others tell me that it gets better but you need to get out fairly regularly. Hmmmmm. On the up side, my apartment is amazing, very big, light, cool, great views (hmmm, see photo attached) and modern, so new that everything was still wrapped in plastic! I've had a few adventures so far including flooding my bedroom (not my fault, washing machine), interesting taxi rides and trying to leave a Korean restuurant before I've actually eaten my meal. All good learning experiences. I've met all the new staff and the principal, it sounds like it is going to be a very exciting place to work. Our working week begins tomorrow with two 3 hour days followed by a day in Shanghai as a team and then a 4 day long weekend to 'dive into the deep end of China' - what a way to start! So, LP has been consulted and Tracey (NZ teacher) and I are going to head down to Hangzhou for a few days of exploration.
Take care.

No comments: