Saturday 30 August 2008

Surviving the Wuxi roads.....

I am now the proud owner of a bright orange bike, complete with bell and basket! And I am probably the only person in China to be crazy enough to wear a helmet as well! They were so impressed (or surprised?) in the shop when I purchased my bike, that they gave me a 50% discount on my helmet. So, the next step was to actually ride the bike!! Tracey and I set out this afternoon on a practise run out to school and, as the pictures show, we made it all the way to school! (and back of course, via a local market for fresh bokchoy and tomatoes - for 80c!). The hardest part about the riding on the roads is getting used to traffic travelling on the opposite side to home, very confusing! Also, the Chinese (along with most Asian countries, I think), seem to have their own chaotic system for transport. In Wuxi, it involves not using indicators, not checking your blindspot and ignoring traffic lights. So, to fit in with the locals (not sure what the chances of this happening are.....people think it's funny to see a forgeiner in a helmet on an orange bike!!), I think that my bell will be getting a good workout! Off to the gym now (hopefully without running into my new 'friend', Stone the Gladiator who has taken it upon himself to try to teach me Chinese while I am running on the treadmill or lifting weights!!) then having a DVD night with some of the girls here, we bought up big at the DVD shop yesterday - so cheap! Take care, Anna.

No comments: