Thursday 28 August 2008

Goodbye 5D, hello Kookaburras

Preparations for the beginning of the year are going very well here, albeit on 'Chinese time'! I am loving working at EtonHouse so far, there is lots of great stuff happening with the curriculum and everyone is so organised and friendly. My room is beginning to look like a classroom, thanks to my wonderful teacher assistant, Mike. He has put up fantastic displays and is doing lots of the little jobs so I can focus on planning for the first term. I met some of my students today, they are so little but they are so excited about Monday. Each class is named after an animal, I decided on Kookaburras because I wanted an Australian animal and I hope that our class will laugh a lot during the year! All the expat staff have been learning Mandarin each day and this will continue during the term time. The Chinese staff have also been learning English, so when I see the cleaners, I say 'ni hao' and they say 'hello'! Hopefully we will be able to have more of a conversation with them soon. I'm off to buy a bike now and brave the Chinese traffic!! Take care, Anna.

1 comment:

Fi said...

You can also say the phrase that I taught you at hockey this year (and the only Chinese phrase that I know): "Gao sing mao", which means "very happy cat" for those of you not as masterful at Chinese as I am!