Sunday 19 April 2009

Another weekend in Wuxi ....

Bubbles anyone?

..... and to be honest, I'm getting a bit bored of weekends in Wuxi. Most weekends are the same - go out to the same places, see the same people, inevitably drink too much (not too over the top though!), feel tired and lazy the next day. I'm a little bit over it. So, I was very happy when I did some research this week and found a hockey club in Shanghai. As soon as Mum sends over my mouthguard and shinpads, I will be there! It sounds like a lot of fun - training and friendly matches on Saturday afternoons, followed by drinks at a nearby pub. Every now and again, there are trips organised to various parts of China and other expat cities in Asia for hockey tournaments. I'm sure it will be a great way to get out of Wuxi on weekends, do something different and meet some new people.

Peter and Chris.
Hmmm, which songs will we choose?
Despite my complaints, the weekend was fun. After an extremely busy week at work, which culminated on Friday with the IB PYP preliminary visit (which went extremely well!), I had a quick nap before heading out to have dinner with Justy, Chris and some new Wuxites at the Paulaner. It was a relatively early night, because I was absolutely shattered after such a big work week.
Lovely singers with crazy Chinese man. Justy's new friend - 'Ting bu dong'
Saturday turned out to be a very hot day - Summer is finally here (well, so I thought, it's pouring today!). I ventured out to Decathalon to pick up some new items ready for the GW half marathon (only a month to go!) and to Metro to collect some bubbles for the Saturday night festivities. Amy, Steffi and me.
The 'papps' at the Paulaner.
Such hot days always turn into beautiful, balmy evenings, so I headed over to Amy's apartment to sit on her 'balcony' for a few drinks before heading out. Most of the apartments here have 'balconys', which are really our laundry areas - small tiled spaces which floor to ceiling windows. It was extremely pleasant sitting there with the warm breeze floating in, drinking bubbles, eating sushi and listening to laid back NZ music. We then went into downtown to Kalinas, where there was a party to celebrate Sisco and Tam's fourth wedding anniversary.
Pretty view from Amy's 28th floor apartment.
A must do in Wuxi - fairy lights in the apartment.
Today has been a lazy day. It's just after 3.30pm and I'm still in my PJs, having spent most of the day alternating between my bed with my book and the couch and a DVD. I think I'll get a shock to the system once I start playing hockey - it will be good for me though, much more satisfying and enjoyable than spending days on the couch. I'm contemplating going for a run on the stairs now followed by some massage, another DVD and an early night I think!
Classy dinner on the balcony - sushi, potato salad and Bacardi Breezers!
Look at my 'balcony'!
I've felt a little down for a few days now, mainly over friendships here in Wuxi. I have met some lovely people here in China and have developed friendships with people I think could become life long friends. But, most of the time, you meet people when you are out at bars and clubs, which is fun, but does get a little bit repetitious and boring. Surely there are better ways to spend every weekend other than drinking too much in loud clubs? Maybe I'm just becoming a nanna! It would be nice to meet more people outside of these environments, and meet people who you can hang out with during the week, not necessarily just while intoxicated on the weekend. Hence, the hockey club in Shanghai will be a lifesaver I think! I hope everyone at home has had a great weekend!
Very cautiously lighting the fireworks out of the window.

1 comment:

Fi said...

Here are some of the random thoughts I had while reading your latest blog:

- I'm glad you're going to be working on your hockey skills while over there so that you can be ready for a return to the T-Birds when you get back to Oz (maybe we'll need a fill in while you're here in July?!!).

- Where's your pink jump-suit?!

- The 1st round of hockey was certainly a shock to my system: we played on Saturday and I spent all day Sunday in my pjs on the couch!!! I'm sure you'll cope better in light of your marathon training :)