Wednesday 12 August 2009

A day (and a night) on the farm ....

Wild About Fruit
One of the things I miss most of all when I'm in China is escaping the city and heading out to the farm for a weekend - the fresh air, the sound of birds, the green hills, the trees and the horses. I've been to farm a few times since I've been home but this week, I decided to head out to the Valley for a few days. I was keen to spend some time with my wonderful friends, Anita and Ben and to meet their one year old Golden Retriever, Harley. Lexie was not so keen to meet Harley and at nearly 30 kilos heavier than her, I don't blame her!
Lexie escapes from the huge Harley and onto my lap
Trying to make the bed, with two dogs impeding our progress!
After a beautiful home cooked meal and a bottle of Tasmanian bubbles on Wednesday night, we got up early on Thursday morning to go riding. I was a little nervous about riding, it's been over a year since I was last on a horse. Woody is a huge horse as well, particularly in comparison to my beautiful horse, Dookie, who was a fairly slim and elegant horse! However, riding a horse must be like riding a bike (something that I've rediscovered in the past year too!) ..... once I was up there, I was fine and it felt like I had never left the saddle!
The boys relax
"That's my toy!"
Before heading back to the city, I couldn't resist a visit to the Wild About Fruit farm shop that Anita runs so successfully. I stocked up on some crispy apples, pure fruit juice (made at their other farm), apple vinegar and homemade tomato relish. Anita began the farm shop about four years ago, when her and I set up a trestle table with some bags of cherries and off we went! Now, the shop is a hugely popular stop for those wanting fresh fruit and vegetables, bread and a range of gourmet Yarra Valley products. For those of you living in Melbourne, I can highly recommend a drive out to the Yarra Valley with a stop in at the shop. Simply head along the Maroondah Highway, turn left at the Chirnside Park shopping centre (along Edward Road) and the farm is directly at the end of the road.
Lexie the farm dog
Kangaroos in the mist
I am now back in Melbourne and have one more day of family, friends, fresh air and blue skies left before I head back to smoggy China on Sunday morning!
"Lexie, it's not a good idea to walk under Woody's tail!"
"That's better!"
The sun finally came out!
Anita teaches Woody the 'natural' way to do things!
Horse paddocks
Paddock near the Yarra River - where Fantasy, my first pony is buried
Beautiful 'Devon Downs' farm
Anita in the farm shop

No comments: