Monday 31 August 2009

Lots of stories ....... Lack of photos

It is incredibly frustrating not being able to load photos onto the blog. I have heaps of stories to share that just don’t seem to have the same effect without photos to accompany them. Like the story about having a man hanging out my 26th floor window frequently over the past few weeks. After getting over the shock of a man looking in my window 100 metres above the ground (I think he might have been more shocked at seeing a laowai through the window!), I assumed that he was cleaning all the windows. On my way home last night, I discovered that I was wrong. The windows remain dirty but my building now has beautiful neon lights flashing in patterns up the side of it! See, a photo would make that a much better story! And then there is the story of the ‘hook’. As I headed off to the toilet on Friday night, a new colleague pulled out a plastic contraption from her bag and exclaimed, “You’ll need this!” What she was wielding was possibly the most practical thing for a woman to bring to China – a plastic hook to put over the back of the public toilet door so that you can hang up your handbag and squat with no worries of dropping your bag on the often filthy floor. Again, you really need to see a photo so that you too can exclaim over the wonder of this nifty invention. This is number one on my list for Dad to bring over later this month! I also miss taking photos for the blog. Since living here, I carry my camera everywhere, often thinking, “Ah, that would be a good picture for the blog!” In fact, last week, a returning staff member informed our new colleagues that “You haven’t been initiated into EtonHouse and Wuxi until you’ve had an embarrassing photo on Anna’s blog!” I don't think there have been any embarrassing pictures yet, just silly ones?! I was desperate to get my camera out last night and take some pictures of a new discovery in Wuxi - an amazing dumpling restaurant! The kitchen was open, so we could peer in and watch the chefs making the dumplings, and the food was delicious. For $4 each, we devoured three huge plates of dumplings with various fillings, a plate of pork, a plate of egg and tomato (a Wuxi speciality) and a scrummy dessert of apple covered in toffee (a Muslim delicacy apparently). You'll just have to imagine the delicious food without the aid of pictures! Right now, I’m off to email fellow blogger, SHEinChina to see how she gets her photos on Blogger!

No comments: