Wednesday 27 January 2010

Melbourne girl seeks tall, dark and handsome Sydney man ....

The topic of internet dating brings many mixed opinions but, as my mother pointed out, it is a great way to meet people when moving to a new city.  So, a couple of weeks before I moved to Sydney, over a few glasses of wine, I composed a profile, sent myself into cyberspace, sat back and waited.  Before too long, I had plenty of responses, including from very short men (too many of those in China), divorced men with several children (Not ready for that, thanks), those who clearly can't read ('Hi, I'm looking for a nice Brisbane girl'?!) and those who had sinister agendas ('I'm a married man looking for some fun' - I don't think so).  After wading through the dodgy responses, I came across some nice potentials and wondered what to do next.


There were so many unanswered questions .... How long do you communicate by email for?  When is the right time to give out your phone number?  Where do you meet for the first time?  Do you talk about other internet dating experiences?  Do you go for the cheek or lip kiss at the end of the night?  How do you politely decline a second date?  Internet dating is a minefield, has anyone written a book on the topic?

I didn't actually last very long in cyberspace, after all, there is only so much 'shopping' for men that a girl can do!  Plus, it gets confusing .... if you are in contact with a few people, it's easy to forget who does what and what kind of music they all like!  It was a fun experience, I've made a new friend (after I survived the beach date, must be a Sydney thing because the idea freaked me out just a little .... a bikini on the first date?!) and been on several dates with a lovely man.  Who knows what the future holds, maybe I'll have to do a little internet dating in Calgary .... Melbourne girl seeks Calgary cowboy?!


No comments: