Friday 29 January 2010

Moving beyond competition ....

What a great location for a morning run!

Those who know me will know that I like to keep fit and that am also quite competitive.  So, when you combine the two, I'm there!  Last week, I signed up with an outdoor training group as a way to get fitter (read - push my lazy arse a little harder!) and meet some new people.  The trainers run morning and evening boxing, circuit, cardio and sports game sessions on and next to the beach ... what a way to train!  On Thursday night, I turned up to find that it was fitness testing time.  I am one of those sick individuals who like this kind of thing, I like pushing my body to the limits in each test and competing against others.  My competitive streak came out and I was off ..... despite not feeling at my fittest, I was pleased to say that I performed well and came out on top of the group for most of the tests.  However, I was disappointed with my beep test result.  For the unfortunate souls who haven't completed the beep test before, it is a 20 metre shuttle run where you run at the sound of the beep.  As the test gets harder, the beeps get closer together and you complete the test when you cannot make the 20 meteres by the time the next beep sounds.  Before I knew it, my body had just stopped several levels after the trainer had dropped out.  Sure, I was hurting, but somewhere in my mind, I had thought 'well, I've beaten the trainer, I can drop out now', despite the fact that I still had (a little!) energy left in me.  My lesson from this, is not to focus on what others and just worry about my own personal best.  For now, I have 10 weeks before the next round of testing and I intend to work my butt off during that time!

No comments: