Sunday 28 February 2010

Passport photos ....

I'll have whiter teeth please .... 

Everyone knows the joys of getting passport photos taken, the no-smiling, the way every blemish seems to show up on your face, the horror of looking at the photo that will haunt your license and passport for years to come.  A few days ago, I had to get some passport photos taken for my Canadian working visa and it reminded me of Chinese style passport photos.  Just before I left China, I had some photos developed at the local photo shop.  Whilst I was waiting, I watched a young, pimply, skinny teenage boy have his picture taken.  White background?  Check.  Not smiling?  Check (although this is common in normal Chinese photos anyway).  However, the process didn't stop there.  The woman taking the photo, the boy and his posse of hangers on gathered around a computer and before my eyes, I watched as this boy was transformed into a grown man, complete with unblemished skin, broader shoulders and a little more hair.  I do wonder how he managed to get through customs.  Perhaps I could ask for this at the local Australia Post?

No comments: