Monday 1 March 2010

The internet update ....

On Valentines Day, there was an article in the Sunday papers calling for women to lower their expectations when finding a man.  I decided to take a little of their advice on board and not be so picky in who I choose to go on dates with.  After all, the chances of finding a single man who is tall, athletic handsome man who has a PhD, loves travel and does stand up comedy in his spare time are fairly slim.  So, I started responding to internet 'kisses' from men I wouldn't normally think twice about.  Last night I had a date with a man who was younger than me and who listed himself as being 177 centimetres tall, far shorter than I would normally go for.  Now, I'm about 172 centimetres tall, so the difference isn't too great.  On the ferry ride to the city, I talked myself into it "5 centimetres is not that much, you can do it Anna!"  You can imagine my disappointment when I arrived to meet him and discovered that he had lied about his height ..... he was clearly a lot shorter than me.  I nearly kept walking but he seemed nice enough and we went for a drink.  He then took me to a lovely restaurant that was hardly ideal for a first date .... it had one big communal table on which we sat in the middle and it was incredibly noisy, hardly the right place to get to know someone.  The company was good enough but I just couldn't get past the height factor and the fact that nights ending at 7am were a regular part of his week, something that is not for me.  To top it off, at the end of the night, we both missed our ferries home so shared a cab, with me footing the $50 bill at the end of it.  No one can tell me I didn't try but from now on, I think I'll keep hunting for my original ideal, well someone who is taller than me at least.

No comments: