Sunday 7 March 2010

French Film Festival ....

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon is there than to explore Sydney by foot and end up at the French Film Festival?  After a morning of study, I caught the ferry into the city for an afternoon of exploration and culture.  I began at Circular Quay with no plan in mind, other than to end up at the Palace Cinema in Paddington.  Map in hand, I first wandered through the beautiful Botanical Gardens and Hyde Park before arriving on Oxford Street, without realising that although the Mardi Gras parade was last weekend, the actual party was this weekend.  Wow!  3pm on Sunday afternoon and it was party time!  However, I highly suspect that these people were continuing on from a party the night before.  Finally, I ended up at the cinema where I got so excited about the festival that I bought 5 tickets for different films over the next week.  First film was 'Change of Plans', a romantic comedy about a bunch of 40 somethings who gather for a dinner party.  On the surface, all is well, but dig a little deeper and there are all sorts of issues going on.  The thing I love about French movies is the quirkiness of them - just when you think you've got it all figured out as another predictable romantic comedy, something totally surprising and unpredictable happens.  Not to mention the great cinematography, the street scenes of Paris and the stunning countryside.  Hopefully, I'll be speaking fluent French by the end of next week! 

No comments: