Sunday 14 March 2010

Last of the French films ....



Yesterday was the last day of my French Film Festival experience, although I may have to restrain myself from going back this week, after all, there are only so many times a girl on a budget can go to the cinema!  There is something so decadent about going to the movies by yourself, immersing yourself in a foreign film whilst drinking a glass of wine. I thoroughly enjoyed all the movies I saw, but the two standouts were ‘The First Day of the Rest of your Life’ and ‘LOL’.



‘The First Day of the Rest of your Life’ is about a family of five and looks at the changes in their lives over a twelve year period.  At times, it is hysterically funny and at other times, very sad.  Most people could probably identify with the film, as a child or a parent.  Moments of teenage life resonated with me strongly and I was also able to identify with and have a new respect for parents of teenagers!  It’s another example of a quirky and unique French movie.


The second movie that I really loved was ‘LOL’, which of course stands for ‘laughing out loud’ in technological terms but is also the nickname for the main character Lola.  LOL is a grown up teenage comedy and again, I was able to identify with the teenage Lola and some of the mischief she gets up to.  The description of the movie promises ‘a jaw droppingly handsome cast’ and it lives up to the description – so many gorgeous but quirky characters.  Why is it that French teenagers are just so cool? They seem so grown up compared to other teenagers.

Being by myself also gave me a chance to partake in a favourite activity …. eavesdropping.  The films were packed, so it was important to get there early to get a good seat, which gave me plenty of time to listen to other film-goers as they reviewed films they had seen.  As I listened, I flipped through my program guide and made mental notes of other films to see.  ‘The Hedgehog’, ‘Mademoiselle Chambon’ and ‘Welcome’ were three of the most talked about films.  So, Melbourne people, get out there and see some French movies!

No comments: